Sunday 17 October 2010

David Gandy: five things I know about style


1) I was a sporty teenager. I wore jeans, T-shirt and jumpers when I wasn't in training kit. I have to keep fit for my job – I go to the gym five times a week, but I don't have time for team sports.

2) Being a model has taught me a lot about style. I work with amazing photographers and stylists, so I've picked up tips on how to dress. Men are dictated to by magazines about what we should wear, and that can be really off-putting for a lot of guys.

3) Individuality is important, but it doesn't feel like it exists now. One person wears a check shirt, and next thing you know everyone is in one. The UK has a history of wonderful style: dandies, punk, Savile Row – it's a shame we've forgotten that.

4) Guys shop in a very different way to women. Women enjoy it, and to most men it's a necessity. Men should consider getting personal shoppers – we take our car to the garage, why not get advice on how to shop?

5) I admire men like Paul Newman and Steve McQueen – there was such an ease to the way they dressed. There wasn't too much thought going into it. They were just effortlessly chic.

David Gandy's Style Guide mobile phone app is out now (davidgandystyleguide.com)


Male supermodel and face of the Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue fragrance advert, David Gandy.
Photograph: MC/Corbis Outline


0 commenti:

Post a Comment